PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair
Thread: Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2006, 09:15
Jonty

Received 18 Likes on 1 Post
Time for some home truths

This is for all those 200 hour guys who think that they deserve a seat in jet:
The reason most airlines wont touch you with a barge pole is because you are a huge financial risk to them and if you do get through Sim and line training, you are bloody dangerous until you have about 12 months on the aircraft.
As an airline we take all our low houred guys form CTC, They go through a comprehensive set of selection tests and should be able to complete the Sim training with out much trouble. Wrong the dropout rate is huge given where they come from. The reason FR make you pay is because if you drop out, which about 50% will, they wont have paid for any of your training. And if you get to line training, about another 25% will drop out, again their financial position is secure.
They are not doing it out of the kindness of their harts, they are doing it to protect their position and if they can make some money out of you along the way, all the better.
As for low hour guys in the RHS of a jet, they are bloody dangerous! I know I have been there and got the T-shirt. They are too far behind the aircraft in normal opps, that if an emergency did happen they would be worse than useless! And as for manual flying, forget it!
Take some time to get to know aviation, instructing and air taxi are very rewarding and the experience gained will hold you in good stead for when the **** really hits the fan. The CLP/IR is a license to LEARN you will never have this period in your aviation career again I suggest you use it wisely. I went into the RHS with 200 hours and it was VERY hard work, now with 3500 hours I can see just how bad a pilot I was, and also on what I missed. While the RHS of a jet is the end goal, there are so many other parts to aviation that it would be a waste to spend your formative years trolling to Dalaman and back at 3AM.