PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi-crew Pilots Licence (formerly: South African Airway's plan to get co-pilots)
Old 25th Oct 2006, 21:17
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SIC
Cause flying has become easier, there's less decision making and planes safer. We are worth less because we dont die so often any more....
We're not worth less (or worthless) but paid less! And while your explanation is massively perverse, there just might be a grain of truth in it, but (for my own sake) I hope there isn't.

Originally Posted by d246
the vast majority of airline pilots these days will complete a whole career with no significant aircraft failures
Yep! And some of them will "complete" their career soon after their first significant aircraft failure, leaving the whole world and the PPRuNe to wonder "Why did they do that?!?" - if the quality of flightcrew trainning is allowed to deteriorate, that is.

As for situations that the autopilot cannot cope with, come off it
Automation, electronics and electrics don't always work as desired/predicted/needed. Autopilots can an do fail. Actually, there are at least two cases of failed autopilots causing airplane to disintegrate in midair. No use of pushing buttons then, eh?

In any case it is the licensing authority that will determine the experience requirements for the issue of a licence not the airline.
Yeeeees sir! And licensing authorities work in complete isolation from airlines, because too close cooperation would be seen as the conflict of interests. It's true in some parallel universe, just not in ours.

Originally Posted by 246d
when the civil world catches up with the military in using three dimensional GPS, which in the interests of safety will happen
In interest of reducing collateral civilian casualties, military should better come up with something better than 3dGPS. Airliners guided to landing as accurately as smart bombs are guided to target would be a very bad news, for pax and people who live near airports alike.

With just one year from the start of general flying theory to TR, the whole syllabuss has to be very dumbed down. Chances of getting good pilots (or even good sysops) from it are minimal. I just hope someone realises it before someone gets hurt.

Oh, and for the uninformed, there is more to inside of the clouds than just the looks. And that's the part I find not-so-reallistically simulated even in level D sims.

There, now I can close my OVBD VENT valve. However, I have a nagging feeling that I have just fed a troll...