PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors, a rare breed indeed!!
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2006, 21:16
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think there is much of an argument about paid CPL or unpaid PPL FI's.

There are very, very few new PPL FI's now. I haven't met any (apart from the occasional CRI) for quite a while. Infact, I haven't met that many new FI's at all. Certainly nothing like the numbers of a few years ago.

My solution to this is two fold. Firstly make instructing a true career path, rather than the current stop gap. This will improve standards and breed some passion back into instructing. This can only be done with better pay and a long term path for FI's. Pay isn't the only motivator, but not enough can be an even bigger demotivator.
Secondly, make it so that anyone who holds an FI rating, is able to be paid. To ensure sufficient knowledge, the course should be longer and more involved than it currently is. There should be some dispensation for a CPL holder, since they have already demonstrated a greater level of knowledge.

This may not be a panacea, but it can't make things any worse than they currently are and you never know it may even help!

In answer to the inevitable "...but how can we pay FI's more?" The simple answer is that we charge more for the instructor and we as an industry work hard to try and reduce the costs. Fuel tax being a prime example, ridiculous over-priced parts being another area. Moving the UK a few hundred miles south might also help so we can get a few more days in the air aswell!

Last edited by Say again s l o w l y; 26th Oct 2006 at 07:59.