PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ALPA to Ask for Cockpit Guns - CNN
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2001, 15:10
Roadtrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviator - Lethal defense for the purpose to "deter" terrorist? No, just as last ditch cockpit defense to kill them when they try and break the cockpit door down and commandeer the aircraft. No door is unbreakable, but a hardened door would provide time and prevent the cockpit crew from being surprised. It give them time to draw weapons, form a hasty plan, and defend the cockpit.

Tuckunder - Training is an issue, but a majority of major airline pilots in the US are from military backgrounds and have small arms training already. If a pilot is so incompetent as to be unable be trained to handle a simple handgun with frangible ammunition, I've got serious questions about his ability to command or fly an aircraft as well. We're not trying to defend the prime minister against a varity of threats from any direction, just that 2 foot wide opening to the cockpit. If someone's trying to smash down the cockpit door, I've got a pretty good idea they ain't tryin' to bring us coffee.

Julian - Any weapons should be considered aircraft equipment and locked in a quick access safe at each pilot position. In practicality, they'd never be touched except for an amourer (for routine mx) or the crew in an extreme emergency. There could even be a dead drop through the floor, if for some reason, there needed to be an emergency disposal method.

Abnormal Law - "Pommy"? - I've spent a lot of time in the UK, but haven't heard that one before. Please translate into "American."

But then again, maybe you still think I'm just a Hollywood-brainwashed, kill-crazed, Bruce Willis wannabe gun-nutter. But when YOU'RE in that airplane making a cell phone call to your wife to say a final goodby, like many in our hijacked aircraft did, I'll bet you'd change your mind obout providing the pilots with a last-ditch lethal defense.

I understand most Englishmen's aversion to weapons, but I live out here in "wild west" were almost everyone has some type of firearm. We have a remarkable polite society out here, with no memory of any murders via firearm. We view them as respected tools, and consider self-defense and the defense of others as a personal responsibility, as well as that of the Sheriff and Municipal police. Not using all means available to defend yourself and others when faced with a clear and present threat is immoral, IMHO.

[ 26 September 2001: Message edited by: Roadtrip ]