PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Holding for EGCC
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2006, 14:38
CarltonBrowne the FO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please note: my post is entirely speculative. I make no claim to knowledge of the actual scenario, but attempt only to produce a personal hypothesis.
OK here goes. Captain Speaking is flying from LHR-MAN. Sensibly, he carries enough fuel to hold for some time before having to commit either to landing at MAN, or diverting to LPL. However, during his flight, LPL closes. On reaching DAYNE, Speaking has to recalculate. He has a secondary alternate, XXX, but XXX is further away than LPL- possibly much further away.
While he had plenty of fuel to hold if LPL was the diversion, his minimum divert figure to XXX is much higher. It is quite likely that he will have to divert within minutes if he is to reach XXX above minimum fuel. In these circumstances it is sensible to find out ASAP if a DIV will be necessary- it does NOT mean an emergency, as it is perfectly acceptable to use diversion fuel to hold if an expected approach time has been given.

Last edited by CarltonBrowne the FO; 25th Oct 2006 at 14:42. Reason: GL's post popped up while I was writing this.