PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Simpsons Desert!
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2006, 12:13
papaschild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySista
Actually a lot of the Dip. Av students start out with PPL (or none!!) and work their way up to CPL/ATPL over the next 3 or 4 years.. at least, those that I've met have all been doing it that way... so possibly these guys in the poster's class might only recently have been let loose on their own in aircraft.. in which case, this is a fab opportunity for them to 'fine tune' their nav skills... as earlier posters have said, I'd rather already know how to navigate with hte bare minimum than be under pressure to figure it out when the GPS goes bung in the middle of the gafa..!

That said, they could be more 'advanced & tertiary level'... but I'm bettingt hese guys are still in the stage where they want to learn as much as possible!!

Sky
Hey everyone thanks heaps for the replies!

There are about 8 of us going on this trip, 6 students and 2 instructors. The instructors are coming as PASSENGERS ONLY, so they will not be PIC. For the most part, the 6 students, including myself, have only just aquired our PPL's in the last 3 months, and have about 100 - 110 hours each. Some less, some more. some with NVFR, Some without. The excercise is to train us professionally, and to fine tune our navigation skills. the only people on board that have a GPS will be the 2 instructors!. I think this is great because, why not increase your knowledge and efficiency on the basics. GPS is a luxury!, which i cant afford, however im sure that if anything major were to go wrong, i dont think our passengers would be wanting to spend a night(s) out in the desert and may just tap us on the shoulder. But i do believe this will be a very satisfying and confidence building exercise, and a hell of a lot of fun.

I think i will probably brief my FO around 4 30 in the morning and set out just after BOD, ooooh yeah!. I have all current maps, and we should all be set to leave on Monday. First stop Broken Hill!

thanks heaps everyone

matt

PS. also just in regards to "sky" my diploma actually only goes for a year, including either ATPL, or Instructor rating although its a busy one