PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomson Full Evac @ STN
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2006, 12:04
A4

Ut Sementem Feeceris

Received 165 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Mervyn's Clowns
What concerns me is that they took so long to divert after the fumes being reported after takeoff from NCL.
Why did the Crews not don the O2 Masks immediately as per the QRH/Emergency Check list and Government guidelines?
Merv.
What makes you think they took so long? If my memory serves me correctly, a departure from NCL to LCA would track down the east coast of the UK (due danger areas in the North Sea) before turning left across the North Sea around about The Wash. The haze was noticed "shortly after TOC" (Note: Top Of Climb NOT takeoff - i.e. about 30 mins after Takeoff) which would probably be about the same point as the left turn. To STN from there is about 100 odd miles so STN seems to be the perfect diversion airfield - straight in! EMA probably also a good choice.
Perhaps the initial diversion was precautionary but the haze became more significant in the latter part of the descent, by which time they were well on the way to STN.

It's easy to judge after the event but you weren't there - so don't

No one was injured, the aircraft was recovered safely - job well done in my book.

A4
P.S. Which Government (HA!) guidelines are you talking about ?