PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malayan Airways DC-3
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2006, 10:43
828a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chris keeping:
I'm also interested in Malayan Airways DC3s (flew them for 10 happy years). Unfortunately one does not hear very much about this pioneer company that is both mother and father of Singapore Airlines. If you are into detail for your model then you may care to consider the following:
(1) Between 1955 and 1965 Malayan Airways had eleven (11) DC3s on line. They were VR-SCG, VR-SCC, VR-SDD, VR-SCQ, VR-SCM, VR-SCW, VR-SCR, VR-SCP, VR-SDH, VR-SCN, VR-SCO. Each aircraft was named after a bird and the name corresponded with the last letter of the registration. It was written on both sides of the nose at the rear mid-point of the pilot's sliding window more or less behind each pilot's head. (I can only remember VR-SDD which was "Drake" and VR-SDH "Heron". I think VR-SCO was "Osprey").
(2) Rudder fabric was grey as opposed to the fin which was white.
(3) The tiger's head had exactly eight (8) whiskers all shown as black dots on the tiger's upper lip.
(4) The union jack was on all aircraft directly above the registration on the fin.
(5) The registration mark was also written in large letters on the upper surface of the right wing.
(6) Max take off weights were written (block printed) on the left side of the fuselage just ahead of the tailplane leading edge as "passenger 27,000 lbs" "cargo 29,000 lbs".
(7) The tiger's head had a five pointed star located within the MAL logo.
(8) The propellers were paddle blades (not toothpicks) with yellow tips but the yellow was darker than the yellow stripe along the fuselage.
If there is anything else you would like to know such as the names of the crews including the girls then send me a private message. I don't mind in the least recalling what I consider to be halcyon days.
828a