PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi-crew Pilots Licence (formerly: South African Airway's plan to get co-pilots)
Old 25th Oct 2006, 08:55
Danny

aka Capt PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The one thing that a simulator can never replicate is the 'mortality' factor. Whilst I shall leave the rest of you on here to debate the pros and cons of this new licence which reduces even further the actual flying experience of the trainee, the one thing that actual flying experience versus simulated flying experience cannot replicate is that subconcious fear that we manage to suppress knowing that if we really screw it up it's going to hurt real bad or worse!

It is those pilots that have flown in marginal situations and learnt from their experiences that will have the real advantage when things get bad later on. No one is denying that you can't train a pilot with less flying hours and many more sim hours to operate the aircraft. How many hours does a fast jet military pilot have before being let loose?

As with most things in aviation, the beancounters rule and this new licence is just another example of knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing. Lip service will be paid to how safety is the number one priority but in reality we all know that it is a compromise between profit and loss! The fear of failing a course in the sim can never replace the fear of knowing that the consequences of getting it wrong is going to kill you!

I remember about five years ago when someone from South African Airways first proposed this new licence. SAA have been the drivers behind it and no doubt, with the backing of most of the worlds major airlines, they have seen it to fruition as most countries will introduce the MPL soon. Ah, when I were a lad...