PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cypriot airliner crash - the accident and investigation
Old 25th Oct 2006, 08:39
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would add a couple of clarification points here, without commenting on either the accident or the investigation except to say that I am, sadly, probably as uncertain now as to the cause as I was last year.

human physiology (say, of the eardrums) is not known to differentiate between ascent and descent
- this is in fact not so, as Trash hauler said. The physiology of the ear/eustachion tube system is such that increasing altitude is normally coped with without discomfort as the 'flow' of air through the tubes from the middle ear is outwards, thus opening the end of the tube without difficulty. Decreasing altitude requires an 'inflow' of air via the tube, and this is when the mouth of the tube tends to be forced closed by the pressure differential, making 'descent' more noticeable as stated. Whilst the quoted '2500-3000' rate of climb would probably be noticed by the passengers/crew, it would probably not cause any discomfort.

All the aircraft occupants would immediately feel the effect on their ears and the attention of the flight crew would be drawn naturally to the pressurisation panel by this abnormal situation.
- this and subsequent references are not always born out in reality. My ears have always been more 'sensitive' to pressure change throughout my flying career than 'the average', and many is the time I have 'noticed' a change in cabin pressure and commented on it to find that the other pilot had not. Although one might expect the crew to pick up such pressure changes as you describe, it is by no means assured.