PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL to JAA Conversion
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2006, 05:36
UnderneathTheRadar
When you live....

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Dougie:
No EU passport (or right of work type visa) = no JAA fly.
There are a number of N-reg aircraft that are Europe based flown by FAA licensed crews so you could possibly achieve the same thing that way?

9Ws
Yes, there is a way of converting an ICAO ATPL to JAA without the 14 exams. I forget exactly what it is but once you have very many thousand hours on ATPL type aircraft then you only have to do the air law paper (don't quote me).

As was mentioned earlier - it's all spelt out on the UK CAA website in their licensing document LASORS in a very easy to understand fashion.

all
For those considering the Australian course, apart from the fact that my dealings with WAAC were, quite frankly, appaling (their customer service has scared me off for life), I'm almost 100% that you must get the initial class 1 license issued in Europe by the country you'll be getting your license from (say the CAA) in person.

So if you have to go there to do your medical, why not do a distance course with one of the many (I recommend bristol.gs too) and allow the bit extra for the cost of accomodation for the 6 weeks you need to complete the 14 exams (and cram courses). Meet the locals, find out better where to do your conversions etc etc.

Finally, for those bemoaning the amount of money it'll cost - yep, I understand - but if you're desperate for the airlines at all costs then spending the money will save you many years apprentiship in GA in Oz. It's up to you!

UTR.

Last edited by UnderneathTheRadar; 25th Oct 2006 at 05:37. Reason: to make it make sense!