PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some People Are a Worry
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2006, 00:18
PilotHTR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm..

Ultralights, QNIM,

I can see the thrust of your posts - allow me to put my views a bit more bluntly:

On 2 occasions recently I had been in potential collision risk because of breakdown in comms. Specifically:

Late afternoon, I'm inbound to YMAV at 2000' from the SE. I've made the requisite CTAF call at 10 nm and worked out separation with a jet* A3something in the circuit. About 2 nm out comes a barely decipherable inbound/overflying call. From what I can gather this is a 172 to the west at my altitude. I contacted this fellow (Echo XXXX XXXX) but despite my patient and repeated attempts, it was simply impossible for me to understand his current position and intentions.
Since he was coming out of a lowering sun, I felt unable to maintain VFR separation. I felt my best choice was to descend and reverse track.

I waited for the instructor to get on the horn and sort it out, but it never happened - must have been a solo navex.

A similar incident occured about 2 weeks later to the East of Melbourne.

I could have called ATC I suppose and hassled them for traffic, but it was after all VFR, and this should not have been necessary.

I am aware that the Asian training market is lucrative for local organisations, but there is a genuine safety hazard with some of these pilots. No doubt they are smart kids, but a certain minimum level of ARTICULATION of the English language should be required. In my opinion, both the training organisiations and the regulator need to address this issue.

I imagine the ATC folks have more than an occasional problem with this as well.