PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arik Air
Thread: Arik Air
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2006, 21:00
surely not

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ak6181 that was hardly a helpful post!! I agree that many expats have a disgustingly patronising attitude to Nigerians, this was something that I loathed as well, and you arevery right that they quite often voice these patronising attitudes openly. However there is no excuse for resorting to lynch mob mentality.

LJT your point about Nigerian pilots being asked to sit all 14 ATP exams is surely a reflection on the past history of Nigerian aviation where it is said by people of all colour matches that a licence could be bought rather than earned. Plus the expats flying in Nigeria will already have sat these exams. Or maybe I have missd your point?? If so I apologise.

It is also true that many Nigerians have a deep rooted distrust of Nigerian pilots. I had many an interesting discussion with Nigerians who wanted the airlines to ensure as many ex pats as possible were employed as pilots and engineers!! Sad to say many Nigerians will fly BA, LH, VS, AF, KL out of Lagos because they cannot believe that their own airlines are up to the mark. It took a lot of nagging to get them to try VK to London, Jo;burg and Dubai. Even if they came back pleasantly surprised they would add the caveat 'it wont last'. I found it sad that I was more enthusiastic about Nigerian aviation than they were.