PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agusta AW139
Thread: Agusta AW139
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2006, 20:08
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bpaggi says, " I'm an engineer and I love these characteristics but I also think pilots love it." Yes, but only when pilots carry the checkbooks does that make sales.
I think you have read me wrong. I think the 139 has lots and lots of power, in fact, perhaps too much, since it now has less range and the payload is reduced due to the high fuel burn. With the power you describe, the helo could weigh 21000 lbs, and have about 2 tons more payload than it does. In other words, for the fantastic single engine performance, the operator carries thousands of pounds less revenue-paying load!

Regarding how pilots believe that engine power makes more safety, if you look at the accident statistics, you will see that engines are not the problem, people are. Since the biggest single block of accidents, (about 25 to 40% of all helo accidents) involve perfectly healthy machines that are flown into the water or mountains, exactly how will doubling engine power solve this?

noooby,
Have it your way, add gross weight to get payload back. But as you do, the marvelous OEI performance reduces. Cannot have it both ways!