PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training, hours building and first job prospects in America
Old 24th Oct 2006, 17:56
SFHawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Pete,

I'm just about to head out to do the JAA CPL module at HAI. I've done the modular route around my job as a paramedic. I did the PPL out in Florida with a different school to HAI, came back to the UK, built up the hours to 180 and did the ATPL theory (distance learning) whilst working full time as a paramedic. Hard work, and obviously takes longer than doing it in a oner but you keep the money coming in.

This is where I'll get stick from the others: At no point have I ever wanted to instruct and I am fortunate enough to be able to self fund an IR here in the UK. So I have got my name down for one in the UK to complete asap after the CPL. I will then be in the hands of the Gods as to whether I will be picked up for offshore work with little over 200 hours but I still have my paramedic contract to tide me over.

So I would reccommend the modular route, self taught ATPL. The flying modules and exam brush ups can be done during annual leave. Therefore a full time job can be maintained (I cannot guarantee the same for marriages/relationships or a social life). I have heard nothing but good things from HAI and I am very much looking forward to my trip.

Thought I would put in the non FAA perspective. SFHawk.