PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ALPA to Ask for Cockpit Guns - CNN
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2001, 22:46
Tuckunder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is sad to see Yank and Brit Bashing in this forum when for once our politicians seem to have got it right and Blair has given Bush our total support in any forthcoming action. I for one am totally behind this and consider our whole way of life depends on a zero tolerance mind set towards known terrorists. Even if, in the short term, further atrocities have to be endured either side of the Atlantic. I have a military background and have carried a pistol in the cockpit. I have also seen an accidental discharge and I know the squadron adj used to keep a supply of rounds in the goodies bag which prevented many a Court Martial for a "lost round". I like to think we were very professional pilots who could fly as well as anyone. However as regards handling weapons, with our 6 monthly 30 rounds practice we were p......ng into wind as regards professional gun handlers. I always used to say the only use for my Browning was to use it on myself before capture and torture. (hopefully I wouldn't have missed!). Guns on civilian airliners will be a total unmitigated disaster. I am aware that the American right to bear arms is extremely emotive but please guys listen to others who have a different viewpoint.

Happy flying