PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some People Are a Worry
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2006, 11:03
Ultralights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting to note i have read ever increasing reports (well not reports but mentiones on various sites in Oz on Oz aviation) of the breakdown of seperation, and the lack of basic airmanship in the Melbourne area, general complaints coming from that part of the world...

including this posted somewhere else recently, regarding flying in the region

The reason I ask is that today, while in the circuit at Shepparton with three other aircraft, all newish 172s, I had to abort activities in the circuit and depart the flight plan due to what can only be described as a breakdown in separation.

I was halfway along the base leg of the circuit in a Tecnam with my instructor, when I heard the very badly spoken call of a Cessna 172 turning base.

My instructor looked over his shoulder and was startled to see the 172 bearing down on and level with us. At this time in the circuit, the Tecnam was at 60kts with first stage of flaps.

At about 200m apart and seconds from my turn for finals, I aborted the landing and departed the circuit, flying firstly to the right and then up. I commenced the manouvre at the same time the instructor issued the command.

There was no acknowledgement from the 172 pilot that he had seen us, let alone received our standard calls.

The three 172s were essentially a flight of three students whom my instructor suspected were on their first solo navex and were from Moorabin.

Any comments?