PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ALPA to Ask for Cockpit Guns - CNN
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2001, 20:57
Scotflight Aviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glueball...we're not talking about "gun-toting pilots". We're talking about professionals with professional training. And as professionals, we should be capable of accepting the practical and responsibility aspects of professional training. As a professional, I don't want to simply rely on passengers trying to do something about a situation.
And Guvnor...I appreciate the compliment...and I pretty much agree with what you're saying, but I think both of you are trying to tar all pilots with the same brush that we're only good at flying aeroplanes and not capable of doing anything with a gun. Yet, a young boy can leave school tomorrow and join the army to be almost instantly trained to carry a gun..!?!
I agree that this situation is far from ideal, and I absolutely cringe at the idea of pilots )or anyone) being put in charge of a gun as a compulsory measure. But can't you both accept that some of us professional people are actually capable and responsible.
Guvnor,..I also accept you comment about carrying a gun as a different way of life. Absolutely correct!! When I went on shooting competitions, I had my double shoulder-holster with both guns firmly tucked out of sight until I got to the range. If i stayed overnight for a comp, the guns would NEVER be anywhere except tucked firmly under my armpits. And if I had to leave my B&B accom to get a bite to eat somewhere, going into bars and drinking simply wasn't an option, either from a legal point of view or a common sense one.
And guns would be unloaded until I got to the firing point on the range. I know I speak on behalf af all other members of the shooting clubs I went to.
Like I think I said, this is an option worth considering, but lets keep it a bit more open-minded without the "gun-toting" and "let's just leave security to someone else who knows what they're doing" attitudes.