PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - India - beware of the medium term...
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2006, 05:20
ASIAN FROG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About expatriate role

I have been an expatriate since now 10 years after a long career in a European National Carrier, and I enjoy very much this situation of expat and more I find it important.
1) Expatriates are certainly considered as mercenaries by Employers and National Authorities, no doubt about that and do not expect you are initially a welcome long term employee if some Nationals can fill in your position. You are just a Joker.
2) However, - depending on our behavior-, we can gain some respect and due to our proficiency, be individually set aside of the expatriate flock. It is not the general rule, but it can happen.
3) Nationalisms are stronger in this part of the world (Asia) than in some western countries. Nationalisms are feed by ignorance and fear of others,and also bad behaviors of some foreigners: as expatriate you have the opportunity to meet people from other cultures, religions, colour of skin, If you are curious, you will try to understand, on the other hand, you will meet people curious about you. This exchange is fruitful because, at the end, we are discovering that the others are human being with the same aims than you, they want to live peacefully, to feed their family exactly like you...It is true worlwide.
4) Poor people have not been able to get the education you have received, so you have the responsability to be more mature, to avoid to offend them in their believes and their day-to-day way of living. To be accepted amidst a foreign communauty is blessing, and more the cultural difference is important more it is rewarding. On a very long term, it will help to reduce strength of nationalisms and it will help to base the relationship between human more on proficiencies than on non-relevant-to-efficiency-job criteria like nationality.
I am useful in my expatriate life, more than if I was retiring in my village. I am not naive about the reasons why they initially give me a job in their country: it is to me to be accepted to the point they consider I am one of their fellow countrymen...
Specifically about India... I have now several very good indian friends in spite our cultural differences and opinions. (I know they can be tricky, that they are often arguing over reasonable levels, but I have overpassed those small things).
The best to all of you,