PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada RP vs 340 / 767 FO pay
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2006, 16:32
CanAV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having spoken to numerous mates in the last 6 months of which some got in and some did not the general feeling is this. The hiring process at AC is a mess. There is little or no reason to the process by all accounts.

The starting pay is very poor as many take a 50% pay cut for the first two years. For many this could be a big problem, especially those with young families and large mortgages. After the two year period the pay gets much better but a six figure salary (barely) in Canada these days is really nothing too exciting. Cost of living in YYZ and YVR is outrageous meaning commuting is the sensible option, especially for newbies
AC, best job in Canada? Probably but compare it world wide its not. Bruce you seem to get a bee in your bonnet when people try and explain or comment on moving over seas for work. The point of why people do this has been raised already. AC/WJ do not hire 500-1000 pilots a year, year in and year out so people must look abroad. The demise of Canadian and C3 sent a clear message to me about 5 years ago that it was time to start looking elswhere.

I have a better lifestyle, higher pay, a more stable environment and overall better career prospects than any mates back home, including those who have joined AC. There are quite a few Canadian boys with me and I can tell you, not one would leave the carrier (UK flag) to join AC. Some commute from TO but say its worth it.

People make choices for various reasons. AC aint the be all an end all but its a good gig, if you can get in. If its $$$ you want or better career prospects then going abroad is the best option.