PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi-crew Pilots Licence (formerly: South African Airway's plan to get co-pilots)
Old 23rd Oct 2006, 15:59
Master Mariner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Multi-Crew Pilot Licence (MPL) Madness

Forgive me for butting my big nose into this debate if you will.

Although not a Pilot (as yet) I am a Ship Master and have seen exactly the same style of lunacy in the shipping industry. A few vested interests push for a shiny "New" training regime and promise that standards will be maintained and that the level of training is only "different" but of an equal standard to the status quo.

Total Horse*&^% as we all know.

Don't let the Aviation industry make the same mistakes that the Shipping industry made 15 years ago!

I recently sailed with a supposed "1st Officer" who could barely alter course on his own. His "International" Certificate of Competency is theoretically the same as a European one.....

This crazy spiral downwards puts even more pressure on the Captain and means that it is very easy indeed to get fatigued and make mistakes - 20-22 hour days are no exception. If this MPL training system really "takes off", unfortunatly incidents will be on the way as there is no substitute for good training and plenty of experience. I will not be flying SA that is for sure.

Guess who will get the blame when it all goes Tango Uniform onboard??