PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EAST MIDLANDS - 3
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 14:27
bmibaby.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that the airport is finally waking up to the fact that it cannot afford to be making enemies over trivial things like the name. As others have mentioned, there is fierce local pride in the region (though isn't there everywhere?) and to name the local airport after one of the three primary cities that it serves was always going to be controversial. I agree that the name "East Midlands" is too vague, as it doesn't imply the country, simply the region of one country. Adding a city has helped identify it, and whilst living in Loughborough, Leicester is actually my closest big city, I regularly tell foreigners I meet I'm from Nottingham as few have heard of Leicester. Perhaps had the airport been named after all three cities and dropped "East Midlands" it would've been OK. I think simply it'll revert to East Midlands Airport (after all that's what people refer to it as, or some elderly members around do call it Donno or Donington) or East Midlands International Airport.

Great news to hear about all of these new Ryanair routes starting in February. Any idea how things are progressing to get the terminal all shaped up for next summer, including this exciting proposal for the "pier"? I'm pretty sure it'll be airbridge-less.