PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 08:35
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator
In 1964 we had just about completed the switch from Gee 3 to Tacan. We still had STR18 HF and twin crystalized VHF boxes; we later got Collins and PTR 175. The rear crew seats were changed to swivel seats - a major mod. We got the HRS, Heading Reference System. The bomb was changed and we got an new panel, ER in place of the earlier EP. The NBS under went various mods, some hidden such as a change of internal relays, other like the Fishpool Mod, change of Calc 3a back to Calc 3, a reversion from Mk 21 to Mk 17 oxygen regulators. New G-meters. A new pitch director for the 2H (YS2) attack). Replacement of one S-band Red Shrimp for L-band. Replacement of Green Palm for the X-band jammer, a crude directional capability on the Blue Saga before it was replaced by the RWI. A dramatic change of Red Steer to Red Steer 2 with a between radar coverage. Addition of Rapid Blooming Window and Infra Red Decoys. Introduction of the 8000lb bomb bay tanks to recover range lost at low level. New fatigue meters. Green Satin replaced by Decca 72M and a new Radio Altimeter. And of course TFR.
I forgot to mention that this all took place between 1964 and 1969, probably 1968 when we were the nuclear deterent.

The aircraft were also painted several times over - the quick, cheap and cheerful dull camo, the high gloss polyurethane, the change to grey underside. The darker and later all over tones came in the 70s.

Three other mods spring to mind - the addition of the tail strike lamps, the change of the pitot heads for Rosemount Heads, and the change of the anti-cols which had been simple on-off whites to the slimline rotating reds.

And in the simulator, from a simple non-visual, non-dynamic to a visual and rumbling one at Waddo.

It was no wonder that crews went back every year to the OCU and BCBS for an annual refresher and reminder of the fleshspots of Rotherham and Donny.