PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - oh dear
Thread: oh dear
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2006, 20:17
Exqcy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I left the Movs trade several years ago and currently work for a blue chip company. I've watched the mover bashing/winding-up for some time on these forums with little serious interest. However, when I was shown the MP's letter the other day at work I admit I could imagine, with great regret, it all happening as described.
I remember when I joined up in the early 70s the first thing instilled in us was that as a mover we would probably be the only person that someone from the Navy or Army would ever meet and as such should represent the service in the best light......where has it all gone wrong?
I know from working in civvy street that customer service costs, but if you don't give it you won't have a customer.
Yes, the movers in Akronelli were probably under pressure at the time, undermanned and under resourced, and they may be able to provide some sort of reason/excuse as to where it all went wrong. What galls me the most though is the way that on their website they say it is just whingeing ppruners and not worthy of a response. If they cannot face the criticism head on and admit to shortcomings how can they improve.
I know I was a good mover. With a couple of tours on UK Bags under my belt I knew when to make my presence known and when to be quiet and sit at the back of the crew bus.
I spent many enjoyable years in Lincolnshire working for the fast jet boys. Again they were our customers and what ever the SEngO wanted I would try and get, I was there to MCCP them at their Sqn HAS site if they wanted, get them thru EMA with minimal customs etc.
The movements trade must have a high level review, if they need more resources to reduce passenger inconvenience they must have them, if they need more quality leadership it must be provided.
I had a great time as a mover, was proud to be one. Do I feel sorry for them with all this bad press?......I'm not sure