PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2006, 19:47
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
IIRC we did not have TFR at Cottesmore in 1966. In 1967 I was at Waddington and we definitely introduced it then. It is a fairly safe bet that it was fitted to the Cottesmore Wing in 1967, can’t remember when 12 disbanded. It was then fitted to all the Waddington Wing (Mk 2s only) and also presumably to the Scampton Wing. When Cottesmore moved to Akrotiri Bomber Wing was fully equipped.

Again, IIRC, there were no aircraft on Vulcan sqns between 1964 and 1970. Certainly at Akrotiri up to 1973 the aircraft belonged to the wing an not the sqn. Again I do not remember any special unit markings before Giant Voice and Big Top in the early 70s.

The Darwin picture of 1969 is interesting and would suggest that although the Waddington had TFR before that the fleet was still in transition.

At the time we seemed to wait for ever for small modifications. In retrospect the Vulcan 2 probably had more mods in short order than many other aircraft since.

In 1964 we had just about completed the switch from Gee 3 to Tacan. We still had STR18 HF and twin crystalized VHF boxes; we later got Collins and PTR 175. The rear crew seats were changed to swivel seats - a major mod. We got the HRS, Heading Reference System. The bomb was changed and we got an new panel, ER in place of the earlier EP. The NBS under went various mods, some hidden such as a change of internal relays, other like the Fishpool Mod, change of Calc 3a back to Calc 3, a reversion from Mk 21 to Mk 17 oxygen regulators. New G-meters. A new pitch director for the 2H (YS2) attack). Replacement of one S-band Red Shrimp for L-band. Replacement of Green Palm for the X-band jammer, a crude directional capability on the Blue Saga before it was replaced by the RWI. A dramatic change of Red Steer to Red Steer 2 with a between radar coverage. Addition of Rapid Blooming Window and Infra Red Decoys. Introduction of the 8000lb bomb bay tanks to recover range lost at low level. New fatigue meters. Green Satin replaced by Decca 72M and a new Radio Altimeter. And of course TFR.

As I said, at the time it seemed very slow. Indeed many trips had to be replanned as the aircraft fit was not compatible with the sortie plan. In retrospect, and looking at the battles to get DAS and fuel tank explosion suppression etc we certainly had an OR priority.