PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orlando Flight Training
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2006, 11:35
KandiFloss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OFT - JAA PPL September 06

Hi all!

I would recommend OFT as I didn't have any major problems with them, and if I had a problem then they would sort it out for me. Andrew (previous chief examiner) was extremely helpful. I know of a couple of people who had grumbles about OFT for various reasons, but the majority of people were happy with OFT's services and I was glad that I chose OFT for my PPL. I did go over budget, $2000 ... which I was a bit miffed about, but i'm sure that everyone goes over budget in flying, it's an expensive game. It took me 5 weeks to get my PPL (first time pass ), and that included having a couple of days off just to chill, which I would recommend as it helps to have a break now and again. When I arrived at OFT I started my PPL in a C152, but I didn't get on with it so I changed onto the Cadet (PA 28) which was much better to fly, and I would recommend training in it.

The instructors were good, and they were all approachable. 'Bobby' and Herman even went out of their way to help me when I wasn't even their student, which says what great guys they were . In total, I ended up flying with 7 instructors, which I think may have hampered my progress a bit (my main grumble), as at seemed as though every instructor had a different way of carrying out manouvers, etc. I would also recommend that wherever you are thinking of doing your PPL/further training to make sure you know how to carry out the manouvers/proceedures that you need for your skills test. I was only taught how to do a short-field take-off/ how to use a VOR (to get a position-fix) two days before my skills test, as my first instructor (now left) omitted to teach me.

So, as I have said, I would recommend them, and I would consider them for further training, so I think that says it all really?

PP

PS. In response to the previous threads about OFT, and not paying up front, a friendly warning ... if you don't pay for the whole course up front (as I found out) they won't let you train.