PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MS Internet Explorer 7
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2006, 00:26
BLUE SKY THINKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After downloading twenty-four hours ago I've had quite an extensive look at it over that period. An improvement over the previous version, if only for the 'tabbed' browsing. As a recent convert to Firefox Portable I have to say the closer IE7 is to Firefox the more I like - and probably prefer - the latter, at the risk of turning into one of the regular 'Firefox Fanatics'.

That said, sticking to IE7, having predominantly used IE6 previously, I've noticed one or two side effects and irritants...

i) Computer suddenly sluggish on various fronts until I realised this version seems to activate ctfmon in 'system32'; something I disabled some time ago in the approved fashion, via Microsoft Office. It still was, which was a bit of a puzzle until I realised it was now also activated via Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Text Services and Input Languages.

ii) Now unable to move Address Bar/Menu Bar/Command Bar around, or more to the point, all into one, as previous.

iii) A bit fussy about my 'Favorites' icons (sad I know!). It successfully imported both Favorites and icons from the previous version, but I note on selecting a web page sometimes hijacks one's preferred icon (even though the 'change icon' facility is still there via Properties) with the one that comes with the web page.

iv) RSS Feeds facility a bit disappointing when used in anything other than basic form, compared with a dedicated program like FeedReader. Podcasts, both standard and video, disappear off and have to be retrieved manually from 'My Docs'.

v) Program has crashed more than a few times.

Early days, I guess.