PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - oh dear
Thread: oh dear
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2006, 19:19
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by flyboy007
Where delays have been numerous/significant I have tried to get to the terminal to brief the pax myself, so that they may get the story from the horses mouth.
As a final note, if anyone does in the future experience problems on board with the way they are being treated, or even if it's just a question, certainly I would be more than happy to answer those questions if you were to bring them to the flight deck.
Cheers, all the best, and sorry,
FB007
flyboy, well done, Sir! Instead of it being someone else's job you put yourself out for your pax and told them what you knew and what you expected/ hoped would happen. That impresses them because
a. you could be bothered to do so, ie you care.
b. you almost certainly know more about the situation and the possibilities than the ground staff.
c. you can answer as best you can any queries your pax have, which again you are probably best placed to do.
It is about captaincy, respect and the humble knowledge that the only reason you, the aircraft and the ground staff are there is for those pax (and freight, but don't go talking to that!). I've done AT (MCT in my day) and civvie, and I've ended up in both standing on a table in the terminal, saying sorry, explaining the situation, and what steps are being taken to look after them and get them to where they are bound ASAP. If more captains took a leaf out of your book there would be more understanding and less angry pax. Delays happen, it's how they are dealt with that matters, and any DAMO and his staff should welcome your assistance with open arms.
Chug