PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation in ATC
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2006, 21:12
BlueSkye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see this thread started over a year ago and was revived recently. I trained on a non-automated system(Thompson-CSF) and then moved to an automated system(Thales' EuroCat X). At first the skepticism was rife amongst everybody with exactly the same questions. Have you worked in XXXX? Our airspace is unique. What about weather? These questions were plentiful and when the day came to move away from paper strips and onto electronic, I thought of resigning. I mean, how will I handle a mouse if I am so in love with my trackerball? How will I spot conflicts without strips? What about those pesky litlle 100NM linesquals that cover ALL the feeder fixes? How on earth can anybody trust Maestro(the sequencing tool)?

Well, lo and behold. Within two months I wondered how we ever managed without it. Use flightstrips now to write down telephone numbers. As for the trackerball, comes in handy during Obud. One guy installed one in his bar at home. As for Maestro, it gets switched off during heavy WX. So NMATC, I have not had the oppurtunity to experiment with your project, but what I can see from your screenshots is that at first it looks really confusing because you are not used to it. But stare at the screen for a couple of minutes and it all starts to make sense. To all the non-believers I'll say this, automation is the way forward for ALL sectors. ACC, App, Twr, GMC the lot. I don't know if your system is similiar to EuroCat, but if it is then it is a Godsend. "Walk towards the light all yee non-believers."