PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation in ATC
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2006, 15:01
NewModelATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gonzo,
I'm truly disappointed that we didn't get to talk. I went all the way to Texas last year and didn't get to speak to the great Scott Voigt. Which day did you come to Farnborough? Was the lady old or young? Some of my helpers were on the stand because of their knowledge of IT systems. None of them would have claimed any ATC knowledge and none of them has worked on the New Model. I simply couldn't man a stand for a week by myself. I understand you will have concerns. From my side I know that the New Model does work and that its virtues make it a very valuable concept. It is still unique. You may see automation as a threat to your job but I would see it as an opportunity for very experienced controllers to capitalise on their experience by becoming consultants or mentors. All of the controllers I spoke to at CFMU said they enjoyed their job more there and felt as if they were productive than they had been on the ops room floor. The cracks are beginning to show again in projects such as SESAR and NGATS; just look at the potential market for the UK if we could develop a system. I would still be very pleased to go through the NM with you and address your points. You don’t have to reveal who you are. And if I found out it would be immensely stupid of me to reveal your identity. I won’t try to make an enthusiast out of you. That would be arrogant. I’d just like as many people as possible to understand the complete concept. Many of the controllers I spoke to at LATCC said I was unusual in actively consulting them and really trying to listen. I hope I may have the chance to prove to you that I am listening and that I am on your side. PM?