PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TV Documentary, AIB and entry process?
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2006, 14:03
Matt Skrossa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by buoy15
Can't understand why (A)nyone (I)nterested or (B)othered - should want to join the RN
Living out of a suitcase for months on end and hot bunking in dim lit spaces, constantly being dragged out of bed by the Tannoy for, "action stations" "man-overboard" or being woken up by "this is the captain speaking"
Join the RAF - beats working for a living!
Having worked with the RAF for many years there are just two reasons for joining the RN instead of the RAF.
1. Uniform ...... Why would any youngster want to join the RAF when a) you all look like RAC Patrolmen b) You have to wear brown gloves, very 1940's. Instead of looking like a bag of s*it tied in the middle you could look like Tom Cruise (only a little taller).

2. When two or more servicemen get together and the 'When I Was In' dits start the RAF guys chips in with 'When I was in Scotland, Falklands, Iraq, Germany (no more), Cyprus' (for a VERY lucky few). Where as the the steely-eyed naval aviator chips in with 'When I was in Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii, California, Bora Bora, South Africa, Antartica, Tahiti, Chile, India, etc etc etc.

So there you have it, uniform and travel, simple really and you get paid the same (but with lashings of overseas allowances) as your RAF cousins do sitting in either dusty places, or some cold windy dump in the far outreaches of the UK that they try to justify as being 'quite nice really and only 8 hours from any decent civilisation'.