PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training manuals
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2006, 13:45
GlosMikeP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trig and resolution of vectors is always useful for heading, track, wind - simple stuff.

Some understanding of spherical trig (but you won't be expected to do it, unless something changed radically), so you understand map projections, rhumb lines, lat and long, time zones, line of sight (theoretical by trig and actual with refraction/diffraction).

Aside from these, expansions for Sin, Cos, Sin-sq and Cos-sq are useful - more from the point of understanding that actually doing. Hint, if anyone mentions compass swinging to you, consider plumbic swinging instead!

Thereafter there are just three things that really count: mental maths, mental maths and mental maths.

However if you want to go on to something like the GD Aerosystems Course in the years ahead, Stroud (or the book you've got already) will be invaluable (I'm an asq of some years). What I like about Stroud is the easy steps through modules of growth. A complete numpty IQ of 10 can't fail to learn degree level maths from it.....I did!