PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training manuals
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2006, 13:30
thermomonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GlosMikeP
Glad to have helped. Good choice.

A decent maths book (as was suggested above by another PPRuNer) might come in handy if your mental maths is at all shaky. Remember, when flying - certainly in the early days of FT, pilot or nav - you leave 90% of your brains behind in the crew room! So mental arithmetic has to be second nature, and accurate.

If you're interested in taking your maths to the level where you will understand such as compass swinging (assuming it's still taught), buy:

Engineering Mathematics 5th ed by Dexter J. Booth and K.A. Stroud (Paperback)Buy new: £33.99 £30.59 In stock Used & new from £27.00You save: £3.40 (10%)
Stroud does for maths what Kermode does for wider aeronautics. Again, it is truly a marvelous way quickly to get to grip with maths beyond arithmetic.
Ahh, well that was the recommended text in my first year of University, and I have a very similar book to that, covering all the same topics. I'll brush up on it over the next few months (just flicking through, everything looks very familiar, but I don’t think I can actually remember how to do any of it!) Are there any topics in particular that I should be competent on?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the help!