PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - India Pilot Recruitment:Overseas Indian Citizen
Old 19th Oct 2006, 08:57
Vik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm guessing he had a type and/or 500hrs on type prior to getting the job?

I didnt say that you had to hold an Indian passport .. if you have 500hrs on type you can work as an expat.

Originally Posted by Mayday1215
VIK,
I do not agree with you. A friend of mine who hold OCI card and also an US passport is currently working for Air Deccan flying A320.
The OCI card gives you all the rights that an Indian has except the right to vote and the right to buy agricultural land. So yes you can work on OCI card in India.
I agree with Nevrekar, if you are a holder of an ICAO ATPL and have more than 500 hours PIC time you do not need to convert your license. All you would have to do is appear for an interview with DGCA officials. They will ask you a few questions on the aircraft, regulations and company Ops Manual. That is it and than you will be granted permission to fly in Indian airspace.
Most company have started hiring through agencies, that way they are not liable for your taxes. (expats).
The Indian DGCA has given permission for expat first officers for ATRs. All the companies are still trying to get permission to fly other aircrafts with expat F/Os. However, the same rule applies, the expat F/O must have 500 hours on type before he/she is allowed to work in India.
Hope this helps.