PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Technique for Auto's Outside HV Curve?
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2006, 00:04
maxeemum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It all Depends

All good responses from previous posters. I guess like all things in aviation the answer is it all depends. This usually doesn't sit well with those that want a formula type answer, but the truth is it all depends:

1. How heavy are you?
2. Is the wind on the nose, X/W or are you D/W? How strong is the wind?
3. Are you in a single eng or twin eng machine?
4. If all power plants fail, does the rotor store energy (high inertia blade system) eg Bell or lose energy rapidly eg Sikorsky?-This is my experience with Black Hawk.
5. How current/recent are you with the recovery procedure? ie when was the last time you practiced the emergency
6. Do you have a place to land? Can you accept a run on or zero speed
7. Does the machine have skids vs wheels-oleos and wheels make a huge difference when it comes to absorbing impact
8. What is the DA/Temp-Hot, high and humid means less bernoulis for lift
9. What are the visibility and conditions like?-Ever tried doing an auto in horizontal rain where you can only see slant range down, not straight ahead (this is typically 800 m vis which is still VFR in most ICAO countries)
10. How are you feeling on the day, tired & fatigued, rested and fresh-This will alter your reaction times to the emergency.

These are not the only top 10, however concepts worth working through.

As you can see there is no absolute answer. General concepts are the key and you would already be aware of these. Lower the lever, small amount of FWD cyclic, set the attitude for LDG, if you can run on then do so (more inflow will delay the RRPM decay) if you can't run on then zero spd. Cushion with collective when your arse starts to suck up the seat cushion.

Point is if you can walk away with crew + pax and a salvageable machine you have done a stirling job. If you walk away with with crew + pax all in a service able state and the machine in tatters then you have done everything that has been asked of you. Life and limb first, machine second.

Hope this helps.

Max