PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Technique for Auto's Outside HV Curve?
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2006, 20:10
Project Pilot FH1100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day, years and years ago when I was young and stupid, I got to wondering about the hovering auto capabilities of the 206B I was flying (on popouts). I could never get it to land and then takeoff again and do a 360 pedal turn, like the OH-6 drivers use to brag that they could do.

I was working for a company carrying cargo out of a large airport. Parked adjacent to our helicopter was a Boeing 727. The mechanic of the jet had related that the horizontal stab of the 727 when empty was 33 feet off the ground. I said, "Hmm."

So I started doing hovering autos. Lightly loaded, straight down. First from three feet, then higher and higher. Got to where I had to lower the collective to maintain some semblance of rpm. Finally, I was up so high that I was just looking down on the top of the 727's horizontal stab. I figured the skids were right about 30 feet. At that point I could no longer cushion the fall and the touchdowns were as firm as I'd accept (not much firmer than my normal touchdowns, actually). Higher altitude than that, I would have had to lower the nose slightly and accept a little ground-run (not that I tried but it had once been demonstrated to me). Like I said, I was young and stupid.

Fifty feet and 10 knots? Doable without damage, I suppose, if you're using Um...Lifting's techniques...and if you're ready for it...and if you have a smooth area to run-on...and if you're in a 206. Too many "if's" for me, thank you.