PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I will do it!
Thread: I will do it!
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2006, 18:06
rob152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will do it!

Hello,

Just wanted to air my issues, despite them not affecting anyone else! I'm 25 yrs old, just graduated from studying a HND in Aeronautical Engineering and have longed for a career as a professional pilot all my life. I would quite frankly give absolutely anything to achieve this. After looking around and sitting the selection process for Thomas Cook/OAT, and then realising I cant afford it, Ive decided on Stapleford for the full-time modular (zero to ATPL). I have a number of financial details to sort out first so it won't be until next year. Anyway I plucked up the courage to bring this venture of mine up with my Dad. He thankfully agreed to help but understandably wanted to talk about the whole thing in more depth in the coming months. Great so maybe now I can begin to look forward to commencing my training, after all I have spent a good 20 yrs dreaming of nothing else and countless sleepless nights as all I can think about is flying!

I live with my step Dad, now I love the guy to bits and I really look up to him but there is one thing that really really infuriates me, he has this way of knocking me down a few pegs and making me feel that my dreams are never, ever going to be realised. Ok I understand the hard work involved and I appreciate what realistic chances I have in the future of succeeding in my ambition but I refuse to believe that its something that I'm too thick or just not good enough to achieve.

All I ever seem to get from him is comments trying to make me give up, go and work in a supermarket and accept that thats all I'm good enough to achieve! I am 150% determined to get to where I have always wanted to but it can be so hard to keep the dream and belief alive when you have very little support from the people you love and care for. I cant even talk to him about my flying ambition because as soon as I do he just tells me to forget it as its never going to happen.

Thats all he ever said to me throughout the duration of my engineering course and, fortunately, I managed to pass but it would be so nice to have someone Ive always looked up too to offer a bit of support.

Anyway I think Ive gone on far too much here but you never know, maybe someone else suffers the same kind of issues. If so how do you/have you excelled in hostile opinions?

Rob