PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 17th Oct 2006, 19:51
c150student

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello

I understand that I am most likely being a huge pain, and being one of those annoying newbies who comes on and expects his question answered, so I'm sorry about that.

But my question is, I'm currently doing maths at A level, and I hate it. I am awful at it (well, I think so. And I am compared to many of my peers in the same class). Somehow (dont ask me how) I managed to get an A* at Maths in GCSE, but now, at A level, I'm behind almost everyone in my class (although it is top set).

Obviously, I am posting this here because I want to be an airline pilot. I am currently taking my PPL and soloed on my 16th birthday, so flying experience should (hopefully) be easier to get than these A levels.

Anyway, back to the question in hand. What should I do? I am doing 4 A levels at the moment: Physics, Computing, Geography and, of course, the dreaded Mathematics (plus general studies, but that doesnt really count as a proper A level). I really enjoy the first 3 subjects, and feel I am quite strong and confident in them, but the latter is causing me issues, as I dont understand half of the stuff, such as Calculus, for example. If I need this to be an airline pilot, then oh dear, but I'm usually quite happy with things such as percentages, arithmetic and the like.

Now, I have an assessment in all of my subjects in under a fortnight. If I do badly in maths, given the choice, should I continue with it, or drop it? If I continue, it will mean I'd have at least an AS level in maths, although it may not be a good one. If I drop it, I may be able to boost marks in my other subjects, and also be happier (no stress with maths). However, I really want a job with the airlines. So would a (possibly poor) A level in maths do much for me? Or are my other A levels good enough for airlines to want me? I've read airlines prefer physics and maths, but it doesnt say they are required. So if I got a good A level in Physics, as well as Geography and Computing, would that be satisfactory?

I have read most of the pages on this topic, but have found mixed responses; some say you should do what the airlines want, or else you will be rejected. Others say you can still get a job if you just do the subjects you are interested in.

Thankyou so much for your help.