PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hughes/MD 500
Thread: Hughes/MD 500
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2006, 18:45
perfrej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The HU50 - WONDERFUL!

I took my PPL in 96 in a 300C. Turbine transition was on the 330 in 97, and then - the dream - the 500 in 98. I did the type rating at SAAB Helicopter south of Stockholm, the instructor being an extremely experienced bush pilot from half-way up north (PG Johnson, Dala Helikopter). I had some time from the right seat in the baggage, but never was I prepared for the response and the bush capabilities of this machine.

I remember landing in a just cleared forest area with the left skid on the remains of a proud fir. My right hand just met my left (left leg lifted...) as the right skid made ground contact. Do that in a 206...

Anyway, the 500 is a very agile machine and I love it. Yes, it has stick forces that have to be countered, yes, it is a bit tight in the back, and no, it is not a big helicopter.

I feared the full touch-down autorotations. They were mean and scary. Today, with a few more hours, the scare is gone. I recently did my PC in a 500D and had a number of wonderful autos, all full touch down - one with a massive over-shoot. Didn't think it would go that far... I now love them.

So, for what it is worth, I declare my love for one of the best helicopters ever made. It is fun, agile, manouverable, quick, responsive and could be compared to a Ferrari. It's not the choice for long flights (just did a five hour ferry in the D-model - GAH!) nor for moving grandma around. For grandma, I'll take the 206L... I also beleive it is the best machine to completely crash and roll in. No way to break the egg.

/per

Just PPL(H), but going for a CPL(H) for my fiftieth birthday.