PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - on flying with polished ice on your wing
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2006, 03:08
punkalouver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 742
The Twin Otter has been known to pitch down viciously with flaps extended past 10 and ice on the tail.

Glad that it worked out for you that time.

That is correct.....for inflight icing on the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer. But it is difficult to apply deice fluid for this situation prior to landing. However I have yet to hear about a bit of frost doing this on takeoff. Once again, knowledge about your aircraft.
Always good to remove what you can but scraping with a broom will leave some frost residue and there could be a little bit on the vertical tail. Should I cancel the flight? Unfortunately no deice fluid is available in most arctic locations. Or the Antarctic as well from what I remember. People make posts like every location where aircraft fly is a major airport.
There is a reason why the FAA allows polished frost. Because, for example, in places like much of Alaska and similar locations you are in a small plane in the middle of nowhere where there are no de-ice facilities. There is a whole other world out there from operation on a 742. Of course you get the idiots who take things to the extreme and crash leaving government agencies no choice but to mandate a clean wing concept or no contamination on the critical surfaces. A good idea, but then there is the real world.
I expect it will work out for me next time as well.

Last edited by punkalouver; 17th Oct 2006 at 13:20.