PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Widowmakers
Thread: Widowmakers
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2006, 18:51
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One of the most remarkable aviators that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting was the late Gp Capt Dickie Maydwell DSO DFC. Among his many accomplishments was to be the Commanding Officer of No.14 Squadron in Italy when they received the Martin Marauder Mk.1.

He had a very high regard for the aircraft and the amount of punishment that it would take and still get you home. He was always of the opinion that those who did not read "what it said on the side of the tin" were quite likely to pay a high price for not doing so but those who flew it properly had a very high regard for the machine.

Interestingly enough, Dickie and his crew shot down an SM82, a Ju290 and an Me323 Gigant from their Marauder. The Me323 crash landed on a beach in Corsica and Dickie visited the wreckage some days later. He sawed off some propeller tips and kept one on his mantelpiece.

Many years later he met the captain of the Gigant and presented him with one of the propeller tips. They became huge friends and went hunting together but not with machine guns!