PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LOGBOOK!! "Under jar-fcl 1.080"
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2006, 11:34
tescoapp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its basically up to the instructor but the controlling document is the tech log.
Which is why it should be agreed before leaving. It is legal but the instrutor is on a bit of a limb if anything goes wrong. The SPIC is another JAR thing for intergrated students.
The comments about yank instructors is purley from personal experense. I don't have a problem with BFR recording.

BUt under the JAR rules there is no requirement for signatures unless you are PICUS in a multicrew aircraft or intergrated course. You don't even get one after you sit your SPA IR test I asked and got told my test cert was good enough. The logging of hours is different. Under FAA rules it is legal to log PIC for your BFR under JAR rules you are not it is DUAL.

The reason why I started doing it was when one lad who was hour building went up and had never even seen a chandle or that flying round a spot thing they do. And also the standard PFL as taught in the Uk was not acceptable. It bold red ink in his perfect log book the instructor scrawled over half a page of drivel about him failing his flight check. This is the log book that he is going to have to present at interview, I now know that they don't even look at your PPL stuff but the red ink would grab anyones eye while flicking through.

At which point an Army lad had a word with the rest of us and we all bought a 7$ FAA logbook and transfered across 2 pages worth so it appeared as if it was a second log book. The BFR was recorded in that log book and was used for the fortnight so it was all legal. At the end of the fortnight we transfered the hours across in our JAR log books and got the the chief instructor to stamp and sign that the hours were correct. And then the FAA one was binned. Everything was legal for both countries. Thankfully i didn't have to fly with the instructor who had a fetish for red ink. But a couple of the lads were quite glad that they had used an extra one. There was a rumour that he had failed his JAR medical class 1 on eye sight and no green card so had a bit chip on his shoulder. Its not worth risking a very important document to the whim of someone that doesn't have a clue about your country's rules and regulations.

Next time your over doing an extra BFR is more than a good thing with a bit of ground school and does your check ride as well, or you could just keep your old FAA log book from the last trip. Personally I would recommend paying the extra and getting one of the Gold CFI's from my limited experence they get it for a reason.

Edited to add

The debate about how to log stuff has been going on for years. Everyone has various ideas on the way to do it. Even the CAA license people seem to have different ideas, you can have 2 identical log books and when applying for a license one will get passed and the other returned.
People have emailed them, phoned them and written to them to get things clarified and they will just refer you to Lasors. They must have thousands of enquiries on this subject but they won't commit themselves to paper by producing a FAQ. And when FCL gets shifted to europe I have no doudt that the interpretation of the rules will change again.

Last edited by tescoapp; 16th Oct 2006 at 12:45.