PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to spot a spotting spot - Spotting Locations everywhere! Q&A HERE
Old 16th Oct 2006, 10:57
ALLDAYDELI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LHR Western Peri incident

I was out on Saturday morning - specifically to photograph the latest Qatar
A340-600.

I was on foot, so I walked around the Western Permiter road to just past the T5 entrance site. A lady pulled over in a Ford Focus to the side of the road and started doing her makeup. At that point, a BAA T5 security (LandRover Freelander) reversed from the traffic lights and came over to tell the lady to move.
The same vehicle then came over towards me with hazard lights flashing, I had a bad feeling that he was going to say something to me.

Security man said "..Cant take photos here you'll have to go out". His badly spoken English didnt really do him any credits. I questioned him as to where it says I cannot take photos. His reason was "well it doesnt.. you are in the T5 project area and for security reasons now please go". I explained I was looking at the aircraft and had no intentions of photographing the terminal.
He wasnt interested and just kept repeating himself like a record.

Slowly I just made my way to the new river footbridge near the Colnbrook Roundabout where pedistrians can get through. Just managed to get a few shots as said aircraft landed 09L.

Some time ago there were signs up saying no photography in the T5 building site and the residents Friday bus-tours also banned photography. These signs have been down for some time and there is no incline that photography or members of the public shouldnt be there - I was on the permiter road.

In 7 years I have NEVER had anyone say anything to me about not be allowed to take photos in that location. And whats more, at least 3x Police cars came past - they never said a word - more to the point they could see my camera and camera bag on my shoulder.

Clearly I was a little 'narcked by this as I have never had issues. I returned later in the afternoon to the same spot with our little one (camera not visible but in pushchair)
and same security man drove past, looked but never said a word. My visit was only for a specific aircraft, not to hang around all day.

Anyone else had a similar issue or wish to comment? Thanks