PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerobatics Briefings
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2006, 08:23
KCDW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I would reply on how it went with my first aerobatics victim.

Really, it was a breeze. As advised, I didn't bother briefing on the actual exercises. But spent a bit of time on the safety harness and other safety aspects to demonstrate that I took it seriously. I discussed briefly what to expect with G forces, but didn't mention or even point out the sick bag. Advised her that the best thing was to relax and go with the flow.

Then went up...

She didn't seem to have a nerve in her body. I started nice and easy - wingovers, steep turns and aileron rolls. Got nothing but a genuine smile on her face, though I didn't get the impression she was that impressed.

Thought, Ok - take it up a gear. loops, stall turns and barrel rolls. Still the nice smile. "Are you OK". "Yes, that was nice" was the response in a 'is that all?' sort of way. "Do you feel OK about slightly more intensity?" I asked. "Absolutely".

Next gear. 1/2 cubans and reverse 1/2 cubans, followed by inverted flight and slow rolls. Not a flicker other than the smile.

I said: "OK that's about it". Let's do what you liked the most again and then go home. Answer "the upside down bit"!!! Cue more inverted, and slow rolls.

"Fancy a spin?". "Sure".

Well, I'm sure they are all not like that. I think the approach is right though. Start gentle and step it up, but read their faces and reactions regularly, and make the judgement how far to go.