PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No survivors in KZN plane crash
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2006, 07:35
I.R.PIRATE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot was taxying out at Cato in 500m viz with a cloudbase of around 800ft. Chief intructor at Cato went out to aircraft to enquire if they were really going to fly in the prevailing Wx. After being insulted, shouted at and told to mind his business as the pilot was highly experienced (1000hrs...) and IF rated, the instructor turned to the pax and asked them if they would like to entrust their lives to this man who clearly had not idea of the risks he was engaging in. Aircraft turned back and shut down, only to take off about an hour later, when no one was there to try and save the pax. This man was hell-bent on departing, and no one was going to change his mind. Filing and cruising at level 080, well below the highest point on the route. FL120 would have been the MSA. Went straight in, at cruising attitude and altitude. Never even knew what hit them, though I am sure that the pilot must have known it was possible (filing 080 and all).
Reports from his IF testing officer state that his attitude would have gotten him sooner, not later.