PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leadership / teamwork exercises
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2006, 06:08
Swingwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again all for the suggestions.

Tubby one - appreciate your thoughts on sources. Am across the Merrit stuff, and have thought about using it. In relation to your other rather gratuitous point -

Swingwing - given your intro I wonder why you were asked!! CRM and its application in aviation and eslewhere is not a 'whizz-bang' but a very serious and important skill and should be treated as such.
Getting training from you must be an absolute blast. It is possible to teach people something and still be entertaining at the same time you know.

I won't bore you with my resume, but my combined academic / civilian / military / instructional experience was obviously such as to convince the client that I had something to offer. But more relevantly, to remind you of the client brief I outlined:

- they want it "you know, exciting and upbeat" (apparently it's a boring all-day conference, and this is a distraction for them).
If they wanted another plonker in a grey suit droning on about "embracing change" or banging on with hours of Powerpoint about the Reason model they would have hired one. I perhaps didn't give you enough detail about what was requested, but it's a combination of leadership / team building / motivation etc - as well as a stand alone section on the CRM / human factors applications of aviation. The latter was added at my request, because I completely agree with you that CRM is a serious subject which, if correctly applied, has been demonstrated to have considerable benefits in the medical field.

I'm leaning towards a couple of case study exercises, one from the aviation world (probably Kegworth, as even though we've all done it to death it's still the classic - or maybe the Florida Everglades as a counterpoint where there was arguably too much teamwork and not enough command) and one from medicine, probably the anaesthetics accident to which ITCZ refers. (knew about it, but was lacking the link - cheers mate.)

So, thanks again all. If I come up with something that I think is reasonably well synthesised I'll let you know - including the feedback from participants, as I'm planning to survey them after the sessions for possible improvements. After all, I'm going to talk to them about debriefs and why they're important to teams, so better practice what I preach!!

SW