PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the Cirrus a Coffin Maker?
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2006, 23:28
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm a relatively low time PPL and it's been suggested more than once that I should get a Cirrus endorsement as there are a few around here for hire.

I've just last week done an endorsement on Piper Lance - my first six cylinder/six seat aircraft, and that is quite enough to keep me very busy for the forseeable future. I'm current in C172, Warriors, Arrow etc.

My current opinion is that I'm quite busy learning to handle a Lance competently and getting used to planning ahead in a 140/160 knot aircraft. A Cirrus (178 knots?) seems to me to be a bit too much of a handful just now.

Then of course there is the glass cockpit to train on. I note that the Cirrus POH seems to be about three inches thick as well.

My gut feel is as follows: While its a lovely aircraft, I'm a tad concerned about its marketing and who is buying it. I can't see myself in one for at least another year, and to use it propelry I would really like to have an IFR rating.

I'm also concerned about the possibility of "risk shifting" regarding the chute. It is possible that people may be taking more risks on the basis that they believe the BRS will get them out of trouble.