PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Differences traing - I am totally confused?
Old 15th Oct 2006, 20:24
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not sure this is the whole answer.

I am told that most instructors are not qualified to train on a G1000 aircraft.

That was the aspect I was querying. What is the legislative background if any, and what are the consequences.

In other words why cant a pilot with a SEP PPL fly a G1000 aircraft and why cant the usual FI convert or teach on them?

I0540

I think there is a conceptual differences between the type of avionics fit you outline and a “glass” cockpit. However “advanced” things like mode S transponders may appear to those not accustom to their use, they still look and feel like a transponder. Conceptually they work in the same way. Consider another example - whatever form an VOR/ILS takes, it looks like a VOR/ILS, whether it has the frequency on the unit or on a radio box. It also works in much the same way.

Glass screens on the other hand “transparently” integrated all of the stand alone avionics most pilots are use to. Then they change the way in which some work. Gone is the combined glide slope that most are use to, speed tapes and trend indicators replace analogue dials, and until you know which buttons to push there is nothing that remotely looks like a transponder.

Conceptually therefore most pilots will find the avionics take rather more learning whereas however sophisticated a more conventional fit the transition is usually very straight forward.

Personally I think anything with a glass cockpit should require a type rating - not a type rating necessarily specif to the aircraft but specif to the use of glass cockpits in so far as the G1000 system is sufficiently similar to an Integra cockpit for a pilot familiar with one to know what they should do to transition to the other.