PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in the Maldive Islands?
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2006, 18:11
HerrStiffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said Mr Springer. Many threads have run around here about the Maldives, do a search. Actually, do an ADVANCED search and make sure you change the period to a year.

I left MAT not all that long ago, and I can tell you, as did Jerry, that it is a very tough place to get into these days. For MAT, the bare minimums are multi IFR CPL with float rating for the F.O. positions. However there are enough young canadian guys applying to Borek with Twin Otter PPCs that its pretty tough to get in without it. And more and more Maldivians are coming back from America with licences, and of course being local they will get preference for local jobs.

There is also TMA, locally owned and operated, and sometimes they seem to be of more luck than MAT. Remember all of MAT's pilots are actually employed and paid by Borek.

MAT is definitely NOT a short term gig, I've seen the resumes from Captain Lufthansa looking for a 6 month break. Forget it. Minimums for captains at MAT/Borek : 1000 hrs floats, 500 hrs DHC6 on floats, 2500 hours total, Full ATPL. And these are all with good reason, many many challenging ever changing conditions at many different lagoons with many things to hit!! I'm not the first or last guy to hole a float or two...

You're better bet would be to try Winnair, Seaborne (sp?) Logan, Air Sea Lines (Greece), hmmm short list in Europe... If you do apply, please please get the spelling and gramatics rite!! If english isn't your first language then get someone to proof read it for you. Keep that resume to 1 page. The fact that you volunteered at the coffee stand at the airport on the weekend really won't help your chances... And do your research.... If you spell it "Ken Borek Air" than thats probably as far as your reader will get before it goes in the bin...

Flying floats, especially Caps on twin otters, is fantastic fun and challenging. Flying barefoot in shorts and t-shirt ain't half bad either. Maldives lifestyle... well not quite as good as it used to be. Anyhow, anybody still has ??'s about MAT / Maldives I can do my best. Now that I have a "real" job, its time for me to go iron my own shirt ... and damit would someone please explain how you tie a tie properly???

ps Jerry wouldn't be TW would it?