PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 15th Oct 2006, 14:17
BEagle

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts
Hmm, following the 50's thread drift, I recall the nation recovering from the first disastrous post-war labour government, but then later the other disasters of Beeching's short-sightedness and Duncan Sandys infamous 1957 Defence White Paper... Neither of whom even had the excuse of being labour politicians and thus not knowing any better.

But I was more interested in all the low-flying jets which flashed around Somerset, plus the products of Hornby Dublo and Airfix. The sun did indeed shine in summer, but it was VERY bleak in the winter. And my pocket money was 6d per week.... There was but ONE TV channel where I lived to be watched on our 12" Bush TV - which we didn't have until 1955. Merryfield GCA used to break through occasionally - and it needed a rotary converter as our electricity came from a 115V petrol generator. But Muffin the Mule was still legal in those days.

Many broadcasters of those days were ex-military and had a robust distaste for media queens. As the former have become fewer, the latter have increased their influence on the media in general. Not just the BBC.

In 1953 we were supposed to be in a 'New Elizabethan' age. But when the headmaster at my prep school told us, as 1960 came along, of all the wonders coming in the 1960s, he was a bit wrong there! Profumo Affaire, Great Train Robbery, the Krays.........

Back to the thread - any further official announcements regarding the specifics of the Nimrod accident?